Self-Introduction letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

My name is Marcus Ng from your effective communication module, and I am currently a year 1 student pursuing a degree in civil engineering. In this email I will be introducing myself to you for you to get to know me better. 

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in engineering with business. I often get many questions on why I took up civil engineering when I was from a different field in engineering. My course in polytechnic was so general that it led me to think of other engineering specializations to pursue. The reason I developed an interest in civil engineering was the fact that I am able to make use of my creativity and problem-solving skills to improve the environment that we live in.

I would say that one of my strengths is that I am an active listener. Whenever someone is speaking to me, I would put in my 100% in listening to the speaker. This helps me to understand their message and making sure I respond to it appropriately. I do have a communication weakness which is having to reply to difficult conversations. One example where I was interviewed by people of high status during my internship in poly. When asked questions like ‘Where do you see yourself in the company in 5/10 years?’, I would panic and not knowing what to answer.

What I would like to take away from this module is to be able to be an articulate speaker and being able to speak confidently in front of an audience. I am looking forward to learning more about the importance of effective communication from you so that I will be able to utilize these skills in my life and my future work.

Best regards,

Marcus Ng
CVE1281 Group 5

Comments

  1. Hi Marcus, thank you for sharing more about yourself.

    I find the way you shared your experiences quite clear, because I could easily understand it. Also, I find the way you elaborated each pointer complete as I could pick up the context without having any prior knowledge about you.

    I could really relate to why you made that switch in engineering track as I was in a similar position as you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hai Hong, thank you for commenting on my letter. It is nice to know that you were in a similar position like me in the past. Hope our choice to switch to civil engineering is the right choice, let's strive for excellence!

      Delete
  2. Hello Marcus!

    Thank you for sharing more about yourself. It was well articulated and I enjoyed reading your letter. I could very much relate to your strengths as I'm an active listener myself. Overall, this letter looks complete. It has a good structure and flow! I believe that you'll be able to reach your goals by the end of this module! Let's strive for effective communication!

    Best wishes,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina for your comment. It's good to know that you share the same trait of being an active listener. I am confident that we will overcome our weaknesses and strive in this module together!

      Delete
  3. Hi Marcus,

    Your letter has been very informative and it was nice to learn about your active listening skills! Just a few things to take note of:

    Proper nouns need to be capitalized e.g. "Effective Communication module" and "Diploma in Engineering with Business". Words also need to be expressed in full, e.g. "poly" has to be written as "polytechnic". Additionally, remember to double-check your sentence errors i.e. "the fact that it I am able" should be "that fact that I am able".

    Nonetheless, your sentences are concise and encapsulates all that you need to say. I believe that you will be able to attain your goals in this module.

    Regards,
    Zheng Hao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zheng Hao, thank you for your robust comment. I appreciate your time and effort in identifying the different errors that you spotted in my letter and improvements given to make my letter better. With this, let us strive together to get better in this module!

      Delete
  4. Dear Marcus,

    Thank you for sharing your letter. It was pleasant to know that you are a good listener. As for the structure of your letter, it was well organized. The flow of your letter were well written, from the beginning till the end. You have elaborated your strengths and weaknesses in depth. You have also added concrete examples on it. Overall, your introduction letter has covered all the 7Cs and the majority of its requirements. I believe that you will be able to overcome your weaknesses through this effective communication module. All the best!

    Best regards,
    Iqbal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iqbal, thank you for taking the time to comment on my letter. I am sure that if u speak to me we will have a very good conversation together! I hope that we will be able to gain more strengths and overcome our weaknesses at the end of this module.

      Delete
  5. Dear Marcus,

    Thank you so much for your patience; my apologies for this late review.

    Your letter addresses the various paramaters of the assignment. It's a courteous, clear and fairly complete post, one that allows us to learn about you, especially in regard to interest in civil engineering and your comm strength and weaknesses and the aligned goals. I'm glad to see that
    you value improving your skills. Let's start that by looking at the language use in this post:

    1. lack of parallel structure
    -- This helps me to understand their message and making sure I respond to it appropriately. >
    This helps me to understand their message and MAKE sure I respond to it appropriately.
    -- ...I would panic and not knowing what to answer. > ?
    -- to be able to be an articulate speaker and being able to speak confidently > ?

    2. sentence structure
    -- One example where I was interviewed by people of high status during my internship in poly. > (fragment)

    3. In terms of capitalization, I think your letter is fine.

    I look forward to seeing how you further polish your communication skills in the next ten weeks.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts